Hello friends, through this post I wanna draw your kind attention towards a piece of news which left me baffled. Can you imagine, an estimated 931 millions tonnes of food, or 17 % of total food available to consumers in 2019 globally, went into waste bins of households, retailers, restaurants and other food services. It’s claimed by the Food Waste Index Report 2021, released by the United Nations Environment Programme(UNEP). When so many people die of hunger and millions survive at subsistence level i.e. barely surviving, so much food wastage is really unfortunate and an avoidable one.
Over 60% of food thrown away into bins comes from the households no matter whether the country is developed, developing or underdeveloped. Therefore we, the common citizens of the country are the real culprit. Cannot we do something to rectify the situation by conducting awareness campaign against? If we can afford to cook and order so much extra food, but their reaching the waste bins is no less than a sin. The food is like God’s blessings to us, should we squander it just like that?
I have some suggestions to make:
- Buy as much dry or precooked food packs from the store, we can consume. Use it before it’s expiry date or its going stale.
- If it seems excess then immediately give it away to your domestic help, driver or cook or ask them to distribute it among the needy persons. Make sure the food stuff is still fit to be eaten. Otherwise the matter will go drastically against you!
- While arranging a house party, cook or order as much food which would be sufficient to satisfy the apetite of your guest without leaving a large quantity of leftovers to contend with.
- Get in contact with the agency or the NGOs dealing with collecting leftover cooked food in hygienic and safe way from the households and restaurants and distribute the same to the homeless and destitute people.
- A little care and attention on our part can make a large difference. The satisfaction we draw from feeding the hungry and deprived might be immense.
- If it’s not possible to give away the food due to time constraint or other circumstances we can make arrangements to feed the stray animals of our locality or the flying guests that visit our balconies and terraces. Their sweet chirping would certainly make our day a happy one.
Friends, if we pay a bit more attention to food keeping, we can avoid a lot of wastage. After all we can’t eat money or other luxuries to survive, it’s the humble food which keeps us going. Then why not accord the respect and importance to it’s proper use, that it rightly deserves. Prevent as much food wastage as we can, as a mark of reverence and our obligation to God, who has bestowed us the bounty of food. Let’s show our gratitude to Him by preventing as much food wastage as we can.
Stay safe, healthy and happy. Adieu for now.
Read up about my other environmental blog posts here: